The location of Almanzora caves has made is a magnet for civilisations throughout history (see the map of Almanzora).
In Fuente Alamo, in the Sierra de Almagro, there are remains from the Iron Age.
During the 17th and 18th centuries, Cuevas came under the domination of the Marqués de Vélez, and developed an agricultural society, until the 19th century when the mining industry rose to its peak.
In 1910, 26,000 residents were recorded, a figure which had dropped to 7,600 in the 1970s.
Today the population is increasing again, thanks to plastic agriculture and growing tourism.