Mojacar civilisation dates back to Neolithic times with early remains found in the Cueva del Algarrobo, and some later evidence in La Huerta below the village, along with burial grounds at Loma de Belmonte and Cabecico del Aguilar. During the Iron Age, Celtic people settled the area, arriving from central and northern Europe, followed by Greeks and Phoenicinas who dug mines in the Sierra Almagrera. By the end of the third century the Romans has populated the area around Baria and Mojacar village. The next wave of settlers were Visigoths who arrived in the fifth century and stayed until around 800 AD, before being driven out by the Mooor, whose reign lasted 600 years until the surrender of the town to the Reyes Católicos in 1488.
According to legend Alavez the Moorish ruler of Mojacar, offered the Crown his subjects allegiance provided they could keep their homes and land, and coexist peacefully with the Christians. Upon delivery of the town however, the Moors were summarily expelled, and the town repopulated by Christian citizens from Murcia. Key to the growth of Mojacar at that time was the rapid expansion of the mining industry, and the rail transport of lead ore from Bedar to Garrucha for smelting and onward shipping. In 1887 the population of Mojacar reached 6.382…Mining activities continued up until WW1, when it came to an abrupt halt, forcing many inhabitants to leave the area in search of alternative work.
By the 1950s the population count reached an all-time low of just 300. Luckilly the 1960s saw he advent of mass tourism, and this has sustained the town until modern times, increasing the population to around 7000 a figure that doubles in the summer months. Today Mojacar is a prosperous town, largely thanks to tourism with 17 km of beach, many restaurants and bars, hotels including the Parador nacional de los Reyes Católicos and the Pueblo Indalo complex typical examples of the way that the town is being developed with environmental factors in mind.