It is one of the world's most beautiful Gothic temples The dimensions of this cathedral make it one of the largest Gothic temples in the world and the third largest in all of Christendom.
The cathedral rises up on the site of the great twelfth century mosque, that nowadays only retains its minaret, also known as the Giralda, thanks to the weathervane that has lain on its peak since the sixteenth century. Likewise, 'Las Abluciones courtyard and the current 'Del Perdon' door are also parts of the old mosque. It was converted into a Christian temple when the city was conquered by Fernando III of Castile in 1248. This stages of construction pass through the Mudejar, Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque periods, an academic period of Neoclassic works, and, finally, a stage during which attempts were made to complete the previous stages, purifying the styles. Entry to cathedral is gained via the Plaza de la Virgen de los Reyes (square). It has five naves (the main one of which measures 36 metres tall) and the main base of the cathedral is rectangular, measuring 116 metres long by 76 metres wide. A maximum height of 40 metres is reached in the cathedral's transept. The main altarpiece was built over a series of different periods, and includes pieces by the brothers Jorge Fernandez Aleman and Alejo Fernandez, Roque Balduque, Pedro Millan, Juan Bautista Vazquez el Viejo and Pedro de Heredia. The Renaissance style chapter room, is from the second half of the sixteenth century. The main sacristy is from the Plateresque era. The remains of Christopher Columbus lie in the cathedral.
The former minaret of the Arab mosque. It was finished off in the 16th century with a belltower, the declining pavilions and the weather vane. The part which is decorated with bricks is the work of the architect Al de Gmara. It is possible to reach the belltower by climbing ramps, where it is possible to enjoy extraordinary views of the town. The Patio de los Naranjos, in the Almohad style with a Visigothic basin is next to it.
Built in the 16th century with late reforms. Keeps valuable documents about the relationship of Spain with the American colonies. The Indies Archive which used to be the Mercaderes Market, was built in 1572. Designed by Juan de Herrera and built by Alonso de Vandelviva and Juan de Minjares. During the 17th century the second floor and the cross of the Oath were constructed. A century later Carlos (Charles) III chose the building as the site for the Indies Archive. There were consequent modifications made to the building including the rebuilding of the main staircase. A building with a square floor plan with a large central patio. Inside valuable documents are kept that recreate history of the relationship of Spain with the overseas American colonies.
Site of the marriage of Carlos V and Isabel of Portugal. Pedro I 'el Cruel' (the cruel one) rebuilt the old Almohad and made it into his royal residence. Over time deterioration was considerable and it needed to be restored during the period of Isabel II. The inside of the building is ordered around two courtyards; the courtyard of Las Doncellas for public life and the courtyard of the Las Muecas for private life. The Ambassador hall is beautifully decorated with plaster work and tiles. The top floor is accessed by a 16th century coffer-covered staircase decorated with paintings by Roelas and Madrazo. The furniture and tapestries decorating the different large rooms are worthy of mention.
Seville's emblem It was given this name because in the past it was covered in golden tiles. It forms part of the city walls and lies on the banks of the river. It dates back to the year 1220. It houses the naval Museum, that has a series of models, navigation maps, compasses and ancient documentation from the past. Site of the Naval Museum.