It is located at the foot of the Sierra Parapanda and surrounded by a landscape of country houses and olive groves. The village has been declared of historic and artistic interest. The Islamic castle stands on a impressive rock, where the church of La Villa was built after the reconquest of the village in 1486.
The Catholic Monarchs ordered the construction of the church of La Villa on the site of an ancient mosque. It now houses the Interpretation Centre of Western Granada, the Last Frontier of Al-Andalus.
The Castle of Montefrío is a huge fortress which overlooks the village. It has been declared a national monument and was the residence of the Nasrid court for seven years. It was abandoned after the Christian conquest, and now a thick vegetation grows inside its walls.