Heritage of Aguilas

Aguilas Heritage

Archaeological museum and centre of interpretation of the sea:
It is situated in Conde de Aranda street 16. Inside we can appreciate the history of the town from the Neolithic to the present.
Highlights the collection of Roman Archaeology. The most of this materials come of the archaeological excavations realized in Aguilas recently, establishing with documentary evidences that existed a Roman shanty town under the town. The Centre of the Interpretation of the Sea shares the installations with the museum. It has a small exhibition room where you can see an aquarium with autochthonous species, and several objects and ornaments, instruments, scale models, collections of knots related with the sea.

Roman Hot Baths
Situated in rey Carlos III street, you can see in situ the rests of roman baths dated in the 1st century A.C. of which still exist a part of the caldarium.
The discovery of this roman hot baths is due to D. Manuel Robles Vives, abbot of the collegiate church of Lorca, who excavated it in 1787. In the small exhibition close to the archaeological rests you can see the ground plant and the reconstruction of this building.

Museum of the carnival
Created by municipal initiative and financed by the plan de dinamización turística de aguilas open to the public during the spring of 2002.
In it we can find important examples and tokens of the characteristics of the Carnival, with luxurious fancy dresses made with feathers and spangles, close to others from the Carnival of the Night, with its most representative characters, Musa, Don Carnal, Doña Cuaresma and Musona.
In the museum is highlighted our ancestor´s carnival, as well as the Cueva and the confetti eggshells, typical of our festial, declared National Interest Festival in 1997.

Museum of Football
Situated in Juan Carlos I street, 3.It was inaugurated on the 11 december 1996 during the celebration of the football centenary in aguilas.
About 1896 came from Aberdeen (Scotland), a native from Aguilas, Gines Garcia Abellan, El Monteruo, English language student, and a merchant, Juan Gray Watson, born in Edimburgh. Both carried a football ball, with it started to practice this sport in Aguilas.

Museum of the railway
Created in 1985 by the Asociación de Amigos del Ferrocarril El Labradorcico of Aguilas, it is situated in the cellar of the railway station of Aguilas. The place was used about the end of the 19th century by the great south of spain railway as a registry and safe-deposit box, keeping still good qualities for working, with an iron reinforced door which was the access to the safe deposit box. The main room of the museum is a big hall with stout and heavy walls of bricks, with vaulted roofs, where we can appreciate the history of the railway in Aguilas with pictures, instruments and objets related with the Lorca-Baza- Aguilas Railway. In this museum we can also find a scale model of a train working.


Aguilas Tourist Guide
Advantage Alamo Budget Dollar Enterprise Europcar National Sixt Thrifty

© 2013 CarSpain.com | Legal Info | Privacy

car hire Spain
Quote Bottom